Like the saying goes, breakfast is the most important meal of the day. It provides your body with essential, energizing key nutrients to get you going. For those who want to gain weight, a breakfast meal should not be skipped. By consuming at least 3 meals a day with a couple of snacks throughout, is going to help you to maintain a surplus of calories. Luckily, there a variety of healthy, yet high-calorie foods for gaining weight. To give you some ideas, we have composed a list of 10 individual-sized breakfast meal ideas for weight gain and other food choices that can contribute to weight gain as well:
**Disclaimer: Calorie numbers may not be exact. Serving size, added toppings, and brand, can all impact total calorie count.
ADDING FRUITS / VEGETABLES WITH YOUR BREAKFAST
Many people like to eat a piece of fruit alongside their breakfast, as fruits contain natural energizing sugars including glucose. A good fruit to supplement into your breakfast meal ideas for weight gain are mangoes. In 1 mango, you can get around 200 calories. Small changes like this can all add up, contributing to a caloric surplus needed to gain weight. Additionally, dried fruits are a good choice for those wanting to gain weight as well. They are typically higher in calories, yet higher in nutrients as well, including antioxidants.
Healthful fruits and vegetables to add to your breakfast for weight gain:
- Mangoes: Boosts immune system and eyesight health; 200 calories
- Raisins: Nutrient-dense; 217 calories (1/2 cup)
- Tomatoes: Add to an omelet or breakfast burrito for a source of essential vitamins
DON’T FORGET YOUR PROTEIN
Including protein with your breakfast meal ideas for weight gain provides multiple benefits as well. Adding a side of protein with your breakfast can set up a healthy foundation for your muscles, benefiting your workout you have planned for that day.
When consumed in conjunction with healthy carbohydrates, you can expect to feel energized and ready for the day. For weight gain, adding a source of protein with your breakfast will further aid in muscle growth and development, as well as contribute a decent number of calories.
Healthful sources of protein to add to your breakfast for weight gain:
- Eggs: Meatless source of direct protein
- Turkey bacon / sausages: Tasty source of protein; 130 – 330+ calories
- Protein shake – Click here to see some of the best weight gain shakes that actually work:
OTHER HEALTHY ENERGIZING CARBOHYDRATES
Additional sources of energizing carbohydrates are a good choice to add to your breakfast meal ideas for weight gain. These foods provide your body with a boost of energy for the morning. For weight gain, carbohydrates are an essential source of fuel for your workouts and aid in muscle recovery. Carbs have even been found to increase performance in exercise and sports activities.
Healthful sources of additional healthy carbohydrates to add to your breakfast for weight gain:
- Potatoes: Rich in minerals, can be high in calories with added toppings
- Oats / oatmeal: Nutrient dense high calorie meal choice
- Whole grain / wheat bread: Higher in nutrients, improved digestion
BREAKFAST MEAL IDEAS FOR WEIGHT GAIN:
1) Yogurt with chia seeds added, turkey bacon, and a bagel = 500 calories
Yogurt + 1 tbsp chia seeds + 3 slices of turkey bacon + bagel w/ cream cheese
2) Cinnamon oatmeal with a side apple and turkey sausages = 440 calories
Bowl of cinnamon oatmeal + 1 apple + 2 turkey sausages
3) Whole grain cereal, spinach egg omelet and a side of fruit = 330 calories
1 cup of whole grain cereal + spinach egg omelet + 1 cup of fruit
4) Whole wheat toast with scrambled eggs and a cup of strawberries = 369 calories
2 whole wheat toasts + 2 eggs scrambled + 1 cup of strawberries
5) Breakfast burrito = 510 calories
1 wheat flour tortilla + 2 eggs + 1 cup of vegetables + ½ cup cheese + sliced turkey sausage
6) Protein pancakes and a banana = 348 calories
3 protein pancakes + 1 banana
7) Greek yogurt with raisin / fruit toppings + granola bar + protein shake = 300+ calories
1 cup of Greek yogurt + ½ cup of fruit toppings + 1 granola bar + protein shake of choice
8) Whole wheat blueberry muffin with a side of apple slices and bacon = 298 calories
1 blueberry muffin + 1 cup of apple slices + 2 slices of bacon
9) Hash brown potatoes with veggies, eggs, and whole wheat toast = 410 calories
1 serving of hash brown potatoes + 1 cup of vegetables + 1 egg scrambled + 2 slices of toast
10) Homemade waffles + granola fruit parfait = 616 calories
2 waffles + 1/2 cup of granola + yogurt parfait
1“Welcome to the USDA Food Composition Databases.” Food Composition Databases Show Foods — Oil, Soybean, Salad or Cooking, ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/.
Disclaimer: We are not medical professionals or experts. What is written throughout the content of our website is for informational purposes only and should not be taken as medical or professional advice. What you choose to do with the information provided is at your own risk and discretion. Before making any significant changes to your diet and / or lifestyle, be sure to contact your health practitioner.