Attaining wider hips can be done through exercises that help to build muscle surrounding the hips. It is not possible to actually widen the structure of your hips, and genetics can also play a role in how “wide” in appearance your hips are/can get. Here are 10 helpful exercises for wider hips you can do right at home or at the gym:
Disclaimer: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. However all reviews, thoughts and recommendations are of our own.
1) STANDING SIDE LEG LIFT
One of the simpler exercises for wider hips you can do at home, are standing side leg lifts. They target the hips and glutes, helping to strengthen and tone the muscles of these areas thus helping to create the appearance of wider hips.
How to complete a standing side leg lift:
- Begin standing with your feet placed about shoulder-width apart, and your posture kept straight.
- You can hold onto a chair to keep upright and maintain your balance.
- Raise your left leg outwards to the side of you, and then steadily bring it back down.
- After completing your desired repetitions, switch to your right leg and repeat the process.
2) BODY WEIGHT SQUAT WITH RESISTANCE BANDS
Any variation of squats is going to be an efficient and effective choice of exercises for wider hips. The body weight squat is one of the more common squat exercises but works great for attaining wider hips. Using resistance bands with your exercises will help to give your muscles a more thorough workout and build muscle mass fast.
How to complete a body weight squat with resistance bands:
- Start by standing with your legs hip-width apart and your resistance bands placed slightly above the knee.
- Bend down at the knees, careful to not extend them past your feet.
- As you bend down, you can hold your hands clamped in front of you or placed behind your head.
- With each repetition, make sure your posture is kept straight.
3) FIRE HYDRANTS
Fire hydrants are great exercises for wider hips and thicker thighs. You can almost instantly start to feel the burn letting you know this workout is really benefiting your muscles.
How to complete a fire hydrant:
- Start this exercise on all fours – your hands and knees level on the ground.
- Extend your left leg outwards bent at the knee.
- Hold this position for 2 seconds and release your leg back down.
- Repeat your desired repetitions, and then complete the same process on your right leg.
4) SIDE LYING HIP ABDUCTION
Another variation of leg lifts, this choice of exercises for wider hips activates your thigh muscles, glutes, and hips.
How to complete a side lying hip abduction:
- Begin lying on your right side with your right arm placed behind your head.
- Lift your left leg outwards to the side of you.
- Hold this position for 2 seconds and then lower your leg back down.
- Repeat your desired repetitions and then switch to your opposite side and leg.
5) LATERAL BAND WALK
The lateral band walk exercise involves the use of resistance bands to really challenge your lower body muscles. It is a strengthening at-home exercise you can do to help build muscle surrounding the hips.
How to complete a lateral band walk:
- Grab a resistance band loop and place it around the area slightly above the ankles.
- Start in a standing position with your feet placed a little wider than hip-width apart.
- Slightly bend your knees and begin taking steps to your left, keeping your feet hip-width apart and the resistance band stretched.
- Do the band walk to your opposite side.
6) SIDE LUNGE
Lunges help to activate your glutes, thighs, and hip muscles. Side lunges are a great choice of exercises for wider hips as they especially target and tone your muscles surrounding the hips.
How to complete a side lunge:
- Begin standing with your feet placed hip-width apart and your arms at your sides.
- Step and lean on your left leg, towards your left.
- Hold this position for 2 seconds, and then stand back in your starting position.
- Repeat your desired repetitions on one leg, and then switch and repeat on your opposite leg.
7) HIP RAISE
This easy strength exercise targets the glutes, lower back, and hips especially. So, this exercise is of much benefit to include in your workout.
How to complete a hip raise:
- Begin by lying on your back with your knees bent and feet placed flat on the floor.
- With your arms at your sides, lift your hips upwards.
- Keep your feet flat on the floor and knees bent as you do so.
- Lower your hips back down to the floor counting as one repetition.
- Your body should be kept straight with each repetition.
8) GLUTE KICKBACK
Similar to what some call “donkey kicks”, this exercise primarily targets your glutes, but these muscles help to add to the appearance of wider hips as well.
How to complete a glute kickback:
- Position yourself with your hands and knees placed on the ground.
- Extend your right leg outwards behind you, and then steadily bring your leg back towards you with your knee bent.
- Repeat your desired repetitions, and then switch to your opposite leg and repeat.
- Make sure that you are keeping your body straight and are not bending your back or arms.
9) SUMO SQUAT WITH DUMBBELLS
The sumo squat involves a similar movement to the regular body weight squat. However, it is done with your feet placed more further apart. This change in form benefits the inner thigh muscles especially. Using dumbbells with your workouts are another way to add resistance and further engage your muscles, increasing the challenge.
How to complete a sumo squat with dumbbells:
- Find a pair of dumbbells to hold in both hands.
- Begin in a standing position with your feet placed wider than hip-width apart.
- In addition, your feet should be angled slightly outwards.
- Bend down at the knees, not extending them past your feet.
- Maintain an upright posture with each repetition and your dumbbells held in front of you.
You’re going to need a step-stool or some other stepping object for this exercise. It benefits the thigh muscles, glutes, and is a good strengthening exercise for the hips and overall lower body area. There are a variation of step-up exercises that can additionally be a favorable choice of exercises for wider hips.
How to complete step-ups:
- First, find a stepping object to use.
- Start in a position with your feet placed shoulder-width apart.
- Step up on the object with your right leg, and then step up with your left leg bringing it upwards with each leg right next to each other, and then lower your left leg back down.
- Maintain a steady pace when doing your repetitions to keep your balance.
Attaining thicker thighs goes hand-in-hand with widening the hips. Click here to check out how to get thicker thighs with exercises + tips:
Disclaimer: We are not medical professionals or experts. What is written throughout the content of our website is for informational purposes only and should not be taken as medical or professional advice. What you choose to do with the information provided is at your own risk and discretion. Before making any significant changes to your diet and / or lifestyle, be sure to contact your health practitioner.